Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam #VCCtravels

This is my 2nd time in Saigon, I was here same time last year that even the immigration officer 👮‍♀️ reminded me of this. This time is more memorable because I'm with my brother and sister. We traveled from Siem Reap through Cambodia Angkor Air and we were there from the 21st of November 2016 until the 24th. The airline is also small since it's only about 1 hour for the flight.


I'm familiar now with Ho Chi Minh and if you read from my previous travel, I travelled alone but did managed to meet some friends from the Singles for Christ community where I'm a part of.

Saigon consists of districts which you can relate to the hunger games, this made my siblings being interested in this place. 

Their currency is the Vietnamese Dong (VND) and it is about 22,760 VND to a dollar.


After immigration, taxis will be available outside and they will try to charge as much as 700,000 Dong. This is quite pricey but about the same rate if you have asked for a hotel pick up. We are originally booked in HAI VAN HOTEL, I booked it because it is very close to Saigon Square which I will discuss a little bit later. When we arrived there, the hotel is quite old and what bothers me is the bed. This made me uncomfortable and unable to sleep in the 1st night. So I decided to transfer the night after and treated my siblings with a more fancier hotel apartment. I did have a good discount considering I'm a genius member under booking.com and they also helped me facilitate a new hotel bookin and did not charge for Hai Van's booking for the next 2 nights.

Travelling around HCMC is not so difficult. Taxi's are everywhere but suggested Vinasun or Mai linh operators. We also use GRAB for convenience and to avoid having a long conversations to drivers because not all are good in english.

We transferred to SOMERSET HO CHI MINH CITY (8A Nguyen Binh Khiem, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), this is a fully furnished 2 bedroom apartment. You can see the room for yourself.

  

 



Saigon Square, a place where we could buy souvenirs, RTW's, branded bags and other items. You may say it's class A but mostly branded clothing's, shoes or bags materials are 70% made in Vietnam, as per my reliable source (you know who you are). Another similar area is at Taka Plaza, which sells ample amount of affordable goods.

The famous BEN THANH MARKET is a place where you can buy souvenirs in wholesale, clothing material, food, delicacies and more. We just went their to buy some fridge magnet for our relatives at home.

We went to some famous mall in the City and below is our first meal at VINCOM CENTER and savored some Vietnamese cuisine.

 

Same as the other countries we went, it was raining but it did not stop us in roaming around the streets. It did stop eventually. Here are some of our snaps that night.

My sister with the Opera House

Ho Chi Minh Square (below)

 
 

Tsung Nguyen Coffee Shop
 
 


The next day, after we transferred from one hotel to another, we went to another fancy mall called DIAMOND PLAZA, this is close to some iconic landmarks in HCMC so it would be good to pass the time and eat lunch. 

Next stop, Notre Dame Basilica which is inspired from Notre Dame in Paris. This is close on other days than Sunday so a photo op outside is the best thing you could do. But please say a little prayer also. Closing it on other days for me is good, it keeps the solemnity of the church and make it not so touristy. Close to it is the CENTRAL POST OFFICE, which is still an operating post office up to now considering the modern age, snaps with my sister below, my brother is more of telegraphic memory:




We did went to Ben Thanh market after this, then go back to the hotel to prepare for our dinner at BITEXCO FINANCIAL TOWERa 68-Storey, 262.5 m skyscraper in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. At completion in 2010, it surpassed Saigon Trade Center to become the tallest building in Vietnam. The Tower that Inspired Tony Stark's Tower in Avengers Assemble. We went to a restaurant in the 50th floor which is called EON50 which serves modernized Vietnamese cuisine. Take note, you have to call to reserve because you have to be on the list before you go up, I'm not sure though if this is essential. You don't have to dress fancy although it is encouraged. 

Taken by my brother from afar


we spent a million there.. 👌🏽


We went to HARD ROCK CAFE and since the portions of food is quite small at EON50, we are actually not full. We went there to chill. Although this time, my brother was happy to take a solo pic.

 



It's not the weekend so there is no live music, not like in any parts of the world who has hard rock. But we have still the time to talk.

Then nearby, we were walkin' and saw the BOOK STREET, it's literally because they are selling books in that street and there are book cafe's where you can read a book and have a cup of coffee or tea. Blogger post on:



In the streets of HCMC

I want to go back to the INDEPENDENCE PALACE and it would be a waste also if they can't visit any historical places. History is also found in my previous blog.

 
 
 

 



I love coffee! and we should't miss a concept coffee shop while here in HCMC. We went to THREE BROOMS TOWN, a Harry Potter concept cafe where children can have workshops and parties. Also good for adults photo ops and relaxation.It's rustic theme and smell makes it a little creepy but over all, they have achieved what they want to achieve.

 
 


 

 


Then as we where passing time before dinner, we happen to see another concept cafe named, KHAN CASA TEA HOUSE, a fancy place with gold fixtures. 

 



Now for our last dinner together for this #VCCtravels trip we are going to THE DECK. I found this place through Erwan Heusaff travel vlog and also with tripadvisor good reviews. It was difficult to find the place but worth it. It is suggested to catch the sunset here for a good view and good food.

 


As I've said in my previous blog, I have Singles for Christ friends here and 2 of them shared their time to visit us and meet my siblings. They are also kind enough to be with me in sending off my siblings to the airport.


With Aice and Grazia

Wacky post

Some snaps taken at the airport:

I forgot the name of the 2 sisters we've met at the airport. One is Filipina the other one is Vietnamese who happens to speak fluent tagalog better than me.

Our farewell snap for the meantime

Our trip was not measured of how many countries we've went or how many restaurants we've eaten or how many souvenirs we've bought. This trip, we've got to know each other better. We have grown old with different needs and wants. We have different perspectives in life but this trip have bond us better. I was expecting some fights during this trip but amazingly there isn't, understanding and respect for one another has prevailed. I'm just so blessed to have this opportunity to spend more time with them and for sure this won't be the last. Next time, with our loving mother who just can't handle travels but we can always make ways, right Mama Vi?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Armenia: It is Beautiful!

Europe Tour (mini guide included)